Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Current Life

I have been away from Jemayla for almost three days. I've already gotten sick, lost the car, missed a lot of sleep, and now my poop is orange. I've gotten about four hours of total sleep in the last two days because, apparently, my body is punishing me for letting Jemayla sleep somewhere else.
On Sunday night, when I laid down to sleep, I was already moderately tired, but just couldn't sleep. I tried everything I could (short of drugging myself) and still only fell asleep around 4:00 a.m. This happens occasionally, so I wasn't terribly upset, and I expected to sleep very well the next night. Oddly though, for probably the first time ever, one sleepless night was followed by another. Once again, as tired as I was, sleep just wouldn't come. This time I was very upset. Generally at this point Jemayla would realize my dilemma and sing me to sleep, or stroke my hair until I finally drifted off, but I had no such option. Finally, around 2:30 a.m. I slept blissfully.

Until the phone rang at 3:00 a.m.

It was a snowplow, asking me to move my car, which I had left in the school parking lot. I usually walk to school, but since I had some large items to bring back from school that day I had driven instead. But I forgot to get the items, as well as the car, and walked home from school that day. And thus, at 3:00 a.m., just after I had entered my R.E.M. cycle, I was forced to walk two miles to the school in subzero weather. This was not one of my better moments.

As awful as this situation was, I think it was good for me. I have started to rely on Jemayla much in the same way that a computer will rely on a jump drive: for a little extra memory. If Jemayla had been there she would have, of course, said something like "Um . . . Byron, do you know what happened to the car?" It seems that, for the time being anyway, my addled hyperactive mind is on its own. I'm just not sure if it is up to the task.

No comments: